The countdown has begun! Only 21 days until Christmas!!! I am SO excited. This is my absolute favorite time of year – you get to be all cozy and indulge in hot drinks and baked goodies and family and movies and be a cuddle puddle everywhere. While listening to Christmas music of course! My favorite is the Dean Martin holiday station on Pandora; it features my love, Dino, as well as Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, and plenty of other classic musicians. This station puts me in a festive mood immediately!
So this morning, I’m got my station on, a spiced coffee in hand, and I’m trying to think up gifts for my loved ones. Today, I want to talk subscriptions!
Oftentimes, if you don’t know what one physical item to get a loved one, friend, or coworker, it can be a challenge to find something meaningful or useful for them. Gag gifts are funny for a split second, but then the receiver is left with the impression that you just didn’t know them well enough to find something meaningful, or that you didn’t take the time to do so. Don’t give a gag gift! They’re the worse!
Subscriptions are the best because:
- They allow you to buy an experience or an assortment of products for someone else without worrying about particular items. The specificity of the gift is out of your hands, so you’re buying something general with a theme you know the recipient can enjoy.
- The recipient gets to try new things! A subscription are often curated products, which means you get a surprise of new products or brands you might not have found otherwise. You get to try new things without fully committing to a single brand or product.
- The recipient may not get it for themselves. Oftentimes, because subscriptions have recurring payments, you may not purchase one for yourself if you’ve never tried it before. Receiving it as a gift is a great way to get your feet wet and try something you mightn’t have otherwise!
- It’s the gift that keeps on giving! Long after the holidays have past, your loved one will keep receiving wonderful new surprises! A gentle reminder that you are, y’know, awesome.
So, without further ado, here are my top 5 favorite subscriptions for that special gal in your life:
- For the reader: Darling Magazine [$16/1 Quarter (1 edition) or $64/1 Year (4 editions)] Darling is a quarterly lifestyle magazine for women, by women. Their mission statement: “Darling is…the art of being a woman. Darling magazine holds the modern mold of woman up to the fire to evoke a discussion on femininity and re-shape an authentic design. Darling is a catalyst for positive change; leading women to discover beauty apart from vanity, influence apart from manipulation, style apart from materialism, sweetness apart from passivity, and womanhood without degradation. Darling leads women to practice the arts of virtue, wit, modesty, and wisdom, all the while creating beauty and embodying love. Darling says women are not only interesting, but original, not only good enough, but exceptional, not just here, but here for a purpose.”The make of this magazine is an incredibly elegant matte print with stunning photography on heavyweight paper. The articles are divided into 8 sections: The Dreamer, The Achiever, The Hostess, The Intellectual, The Stylist, The Confidant, The Beautician, and The Explorer and are written by women in all fields, including celebrities. There are no adds, no photoshopping, and the products and clothing featured are modest and affordable. I think they’re so beautiful, I use them as decor in my bedroom. This is great coffee table book that is a sure conversation-starter. Don’t forget you’ll need your recipient’s home address! Get it here.
- For the mindful: Headspace [$12.95 for 1 month; $7.99/month for 1 year] Headspace is a meditation app. It has little modules that evolve as you progress to allow you to become more focused, worry less, eat and sleep better, learn faster, and more. It’s basically an exercise app for your mind and it is amazing!Y’all know I love Calm.com. This is definitely an upgrade from that, and it is wonderfully developed with clear instructions and impeccable design. You can sign up on someone’s behalf and then gift them with their login info. Get it here.
- For the vegan: VeganCuts [$59 for 3 months, $215 for 1 year] VeganCuts curates monthly boxes full of incredible cruelty-free products. You can subscribe to a monthly snack or beauty box that is paid-ahead, or buy individual one-time monthly themed boxes for: athletes, fashion, beauty, yoga and more.Again, this is a great way to try new products without committing to an entire brand. I love it because I can also discover new brands I wouldn’t have heard of otherwise, or try newly released flavors from companies I already love. Again, you’ll need the recipient’s address to sign up. Get it here.
- For the yogi: YogaTime.Tv [$16.99/month] or YogiSurprise [$34.96/month] I put two here because they have two different goals. The first is an app for yoga where you can take multiple classes, earn badges, build community and more.It is a low one-time cost but you also need your gift recipient’s e-mail address and other info to sign up for the app. (Alternatively you can purchase an iTunes gift card and write a note for the recipient.) Get it here. The second is a pricier option that mails monthly products related to yoga including accessories, massage oils, incense, vegetarian snacks, and more. I’ve not tried this one, to be honest, but I’ve heard great things! Get it here.
- For the beauty-obsessed: Petit Vour [$15/box or $45/3 months or $90/6 months] Petit Vour is a cruelty-free beauty box that mails makeup, perfume, skincare, etc in a curated monthly box. Think of it as high-end vegan beauty products – or as they call it, the creme-de-la-cruelty-free.The products and companies features use all vegan ingredients, and never experiment on animals. And yet, these products are so wonderfully made, you wonder why other brands do use animal by-products! Get it here.
That’s it! Happy subscribing!