Sometimes it’s okay to be a little naughty. It’s okay to eat a piece of candy. Or two. Or twenty. Ahem.
I could do without the guilty pity-party that follows, though. I just sit there woefully holding my belly with a grimace with Aly looking at me sans-sympathy like, “Shouldna done that!”
Wouldn’t it be amazing if candy were guilt-free and healthy, without sacrificing flavor?!
If you’re a fan of Almond Joy, Mounds, Bounty, or Raffaelo by Ferrero, you’re going to L-O-V-E these Coconut Macaroons! They’re sweet, chewy, vanillay, coconutty, and just plain nutty!
Can you believe these little guys have no added sugar? They’re a low glycemic snack and are full of good fats, calcium, and iron. The coconut provides electrolytes and keeps you feeling full – a great snack for kids and adults!
Oooh I can’t wait to try variations! What about orange zest and dark chocolate? Strawberry macadamia? German chocolate with pecans? OOH! Coconut lime with cashews. Yesssssss.
- 3/4 cup organic raw almond flour
- 1 1/2 cup organic unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 5 Tbsp organic agave nectar or equivalent choice sweetener
- 1/4 cup organic raw liquid coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-finger pinch pink himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate of choice
- Preheat oven to 190°F. Yes, you read that right! We're going to dehydrate the macaroons instead of truly baking them. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together wet ingredients until throughly incorporated. (Separation is normal!)
- Add wet ingredients to dry and use hands to mix well - yay for finger-licking!
- Use a rounded measuring spoon - I prefer the Tablespoon size - to scoop up enough mixture to fill it. Use your fingers to pack it in, creating a dense macaroon. Turn the spoon upside down and tap it lightly to release the macaroon into your hand. Place flat side down on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture, continuing to create mounds and gently placing them on the baking sheet until the entire mixture is used up.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Keep an eye on it in the last ten minutes to prevent toasting. You may need to take off or add on a few minutes according to your oven.
- As tempting as it may seem, do not touch macaroons until thoroughly cooled! They will be very delicate whilst warm and need to set up.
- Once macaroons are cooled, melt chocolate in the microwave or double boiler, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Dip flat bottoms into melted chocolate, shaking off the excess, and set on parchment sheet curved side down. Place in fridge to set up the chocolate. Serve chilled!
- Store in refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Substitutions are your friend! Don't like agave? Use honey. Don't like almonds? Pick another nut. Not a dark chocolate fan? Add mint extract to take the edge off or try a plant-based milk or white chocolate, peanut butter, or butterscotch.